Saturday, April 2, 2011

The David Bowie Phase

It was a phase
I’m pretty sure
everyone goes through it

In the months
after I watched Labyrinth for the first time
I developed a crush on Jennifer Connelly
and an obsession with David Bowie

My mom refused to buy me pants like his
but I tried to improvise as best I could
strategically placing safety pins
along the back of my pant legs
to make my grey sweat pants skin-tight

The hair was easy
with enough of my sisters hairspray
I could make magic happen

My parents put an end to my prancing
when they came home and saw me
dressing up our dog to look like Ziggy Stardust
and singing a duet of Changes
(ventiloquism’s been a secret talent of mine,
I’m told since birth)

After that they took down all my posters
confiscated my cassette tapes
and signed me up for little league football

But the crush on Jennifer Connelly
that I still have.

No comments: