Monday, February 14, 2011

Winthrop Souvenir

‘Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. Luke 15: 23-24

Two years ago Ryan and I went camping
in the Methow Valley 10 miles up from Winthrop
while he slept off booze I went fishing

I hooked my biggest fish ever
in the slack water at the back of a tiny rapid
it was a whitefish and almost made it into my net
before it broke my rod and swam off with my stone-fly
I came back empty handed

The next morning we filled our stomachs with biscuits, gravy, and coffee
I bought a black souvenir t-shirt with a wolf on it
I had just heard a pack of wolves had come down from Canada
and were now living in the Methow Valley
so I was excited about my new t-shirt

A week later I couldn’t find the shirt

Two days ago I was cleaning out the trunk of my car
and found it in a crock-pot I had left back there
for some reason I’ve since forgotten

I haven’t taken the shirt off since.

No comments: