Monday, February 7, 2011

Breathe Deep

“And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.”-Acts 2:2

I found out my lungs
didn’t work right
in the middle of the night
when I was seven.

I woke up gasping
with a cinder block
on my chest.

My parents were quiet and frantic
in sweat-pants and bathrobes,
careful to keep the noise down
while my sister slept.

I remember getting into the minivan
then being on a table
with a cold stethoscope
against my bare skin,

the doctor telling me
to take deep breaths
moving his instrument
up and down my back and chest.

He turned to my parents
and tried to explain,
with big words
I didn’t recognize
and the gesture
of an open hand
closing into a fist.

The doctor left the room
and brought back an inhaler,
holding it to my lips
the palm of his other hand
on the back of my rib-cage
he said slowly:

“I want you
to try
and breath
deep”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember