Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sunrise at 10th and Sasamat

[the epigraph is cheesy, and sentiment is too. I can't always be sad or bitter, though it makes for more palatable poetry. I think the epigraph is, in a way, my attempt to make the psalm more than a 3rd Day lyric.]

I just edited this. in parentheses is the added bit, in brackets the bit I took out.

Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
Psalm 36

the morning was clear and cold
my steps were stern and quick
on the way to the bus stop

I listened to punk rock
bitter funny lyrics
echoed in me

I scowled at my reflection
in the window of the bank

but the clouds were pink
against a baby-blue sky
that faded into shades of cream
with the sun peaking out
from between condo buildings

the scowl fled (and)
I took out my headphones
[to acknowledge
the love poem
on the horizon.]

No comments: