Friday, March 18, 2011

Practice Resurrection

[I'm still working on this, but I'm excited about it, so I'm posting it now. Title is taken from a Wendell Berry poem.]

1. Learning to Walk

On clumsy toddler legs
off balance and weak kneed
first steps are made
followed by falling
followed by screaming

Eventually
even the drunks
can get down the block
without falling (most the time)
though, they may need
the aid of friends or buildings.

2. Perfecting a Recipe

The first time I made breakfast potatoes
I set the heat too high
didn’t use enough oil
cut the potatoes too big
so the outside was crisp
while the inside was uncooked

After dozens of late breakfasts
made for hung over housemates
I have it down to a science—
red potatoes chopped to 1 cubic centimeter
steak-seasoning with a splash of olive oil
mixed in a large bowl
then micro-waved for five minutes
then fried in a well seasoned cast-iron skillet
over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes

3. Counseling Session

I explain that I’ve never laughed as hard
at Ron Burgundy explaining
the German origin of San Diego's name
as I did this last week

He smiles
leans back
holds the thought

Tells me that he believes
you can tell how much
a person has been through
by how deep they laugh

I imagine when the kingdom comes
it won’t be long before the whole place
breaks into a contagious belly laugh
leaving the elect gasping for air
their eyes watering and sides aching.

No comments: