Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rosie wasn't a Zombie

There was a sound, and behold, a rattling and the bones came together, bone to bone. And I looked, and behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. But there was not breath in them.

Ezekiel 37:7-8


We buried our dog in a cardboard box

in the soft turf under the Hemlock tree

in our backyard next to the basketball hoop


When lightning struck the tree

the top came off and our dog stayed dead

our back door neighbor brought his chainsaw

cut it into firewood for the winter


My family never had a fireplace

which I guess is why

I never believed in Santa Clause


It didn’t matter much to me

I still got presents

I didn’t need a jolly elf

when I had a Mom who knew

which video games I liked


But I must admit

I was more than curious

and a little hopeful

about zombie dogs.

No comments: